Immediately after Medvedev’s  announcement, the website of the forest defenders was subjected to a severe DDoS attack (in fact, there have been tens of attacks during the last few years). At the same time, workers of state-owned businesses in Khimki were forced to sign petitions for the resuming of building of the motorway through the forest. Later, public opinion polls showed that more than 2/3 of people in Khimki, Moscow, and the whole of Russia are against the chosen option of the motorway. It has not prevented authorities from scaling down and then stopping all the “public and expert consultations”. The “Final Decision” to proceed with the initial project was taken on December 14 completely behind closed doors. Despite the temporary halt of the works, further repression has been carried out.

A rally to protect Khimki Forest took place in Moscow despite multiple attempts of police and unknown bandits to interfere. Youry Shevchuk and other celebrities took part in the rally. The Moscow police  threatened the organizers and participants during the few days before the rally. When the rally started, they forbade  the organizers to bring in  music and sound equipment – though it was not forbidden by law. Moreover, unknown motor bikers attacked  a van with the sound equipment  and punctured its tyres. Nevertheless, thousands attended the rally. It was, perhaps, a direct consequence of the rally that President Medvedev announced the interruption of the works on the project, and called for additional “expert and public discussion” on August 26.
August 22, 2010, Yri Shevchuk, Khimki Forest Video

Meanwhile, more and more people in Russia and abroad joined protests against destruction of Khimki Forest.

During July - August 2010 a number of  illegal arrests of participants in the anti-fascist movement were made, among them:

On July 31 in Kupavna  near Moscow 50 persons were detained without any charges. They were subjected to fingerprinting and photographing.

On August 21 70 participants of a charitable concert were detained in Zhukovsky town and at least 10 of them were beaten.

Also on August 21 in Kostroma, police and state security detained and subjected to fingerprinting  more than 200 persons in search of the organizers of the action at the Khimki administration.

Simultaneously pressure upon journalists  mounted. In particular, Oleg Kashin from 'Kommersant' newspaper was pressed by policemen with requirements to give out the sources of his information about the July 28 action at the Khimki administration. Oleg refused, and was later (on November 6, 2010) cruelly beaten - see below.

At least two detained anti-fascists (Emilju Baluev and Alexander Pahotin) were subjected to torture with the intention of forcing them to give the names of the participants in the action against the Khimki administration.

Not only antifascist activists were subjected to pressure. The family business of Evgenia Chirikova and Mikhail Matveev (a small engineering company) became an object of ruthless harrassment by police.
In August 2010 police sent a notice to their bank that the company was “suspected of financing of extremism”. The frightened bank provided police with all the info about their clients. Then such notices were sent to the majority of the company's clients. It inflicted huge damage to goodwill and reputation, and some clients were lost.

When the Head of the Security Committee of the State Duma Mr. Gudkov later sent an official request to police about all this activity, they answered (in February, 2011) that all the actions were taken in connection with the “attack” by antifascists. It was officially  announced in this letter, that the company was cleared of suspicion.  Nevertheless, pressure was resumed in 2011 – with the clear intention to frighten clients as well as to fabricate a criminal case (see below).

Video from Antifascist and Anarchist action in Khimki
Tortures - read more
Read more about repressions against antifascists

After the action of anti-fascists and anarchists near the Khimki administration building on July 28th, a serious crackdown began on participants of the anti-fascist movement. 

Two anti-fascists – Alexey Gaskarov and Maxim Solopov - were arrested and spent three months in jail, without even judicial consideration of their case in essence.

The participation of Gaskarov and Solopov in the action is unproven. Nevertheless, they are officially accused of the crime of hooliganism., which can mean up to 7 years imprisonment. 

Evgenia Chirikova was arrested again, and then brought to Khimki Court. This time she was fined. The case was based only on false testimonies of policemen. The judge, Mr. Khalatov, deliberately discarded multiple testimonies of other witnesses as “not trusted”.

Evgenia Chirikova was literally kidnapped  in the centre of Moscow by riot police immediately after she left a press-conference. She was brought by force to the police department for an interrogation.


Riot police broke up a peaceful rally for Khimki Forest near Starbeevo village. 10 persons were unlawfully arrested, including Leader of the Yabloko Party Sergey Mitrokhin, as well as leaders of the Left Front Sergey Udaltsov and Konstantin Kosiakin.